Congratulations! Your beautiful baby has arrived. You're finally getting used to this no sleeping schedule-type thing and you have an amazing head of thick hair that magically appeared during pregnancy. About 3 to 6 months into motherhood you notice an abnormally large amount of hair loss. Good news is you are "getting back to normal", bad news is that normalcy comes at the price of Postpartum Hair Shedding.
What Causes Postpartum Hair Shedding?
Normally about 90 percent of our hair is in the growing phase (known as Anagen) and the remaining 5 to 15 percent of our hair is in a resting phase (known as Telogen). After the resting phase, the hair falls out and is replaced by new growth.
During pregnancy increased levels of Estrogen prolong the growing phase. This causes fewer hair to fall out -- leaving hair thick and full. After giving birth, estrogen levels fall and a lot more hair enters the resting phase, bringing your hair cycle back to normal within 6 to 12 months (while causing much more hair to come out in your brush and shower, and a lot of times from around your hairline).
How To Make It Better
- Be extra gentle when detangling or styling your hair
- Reduce heat (including blow drying and flat ironing)
- Add a Tea Rinse to your hair regimen
- Use hair products that will promote healthy hair growth, including Truly You Healthy Hair Set. This set includes key ingredients like
- Coconut Oil (rich in vitamins and fatty acids for faster hair growth)
- Aloe Vera Gel (rich in fatty acids and enzymes for improved scalp heath and faster hair growth), and
- Castor Oil (high in Vitamin E to remedy and prevent hair loss).
Use promocode POSTPARTUM to get 10% off your Healthy Hair Set... Happy Growing!